Ideal Chemical & Supply Company is a family-owned Memphis based company founded in 1932. We are a distributor of industrial and specialty chemicals, and custom blends. We offer a competitive salary and benefit package.
This position is responsible for assisting the manager in maintaining compliance with Ideal Chemical’s EHS&S Regulatory Programs. These programs include EPA (air, water and waste), OSHA (safety and risk management), DOT (Rail, Truck and Driver Compliance), Homeland Security, FDA, DEA, USMCA, and others not listed here.
The EHS&S Specialist works directly with the Regulatory Affairs Manager and Operations Management. Primary day to day responsibilities include but are not limited to: performing functions directed towards successfully and efficiently meeting regulatory compliance goals by completing, submitting reports and permits, training employees, understanding regulations and performing audits. The EHS&S Specialist works as a part of our Operations Department in a manufacturing and distribution environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Complete, submit and maintain all programs, permits, reports and records for the above regulatory programs (air permits, tier II reports, TOSCA, hazardous waste, DOT Special Permits, etc.)
- Keep records (including calculations, equations, standard factors, and other details used) to complete the reports.
- Assist with agency inspections and provide proof of compliance. A thorough knowledge of the operation and the regulations is essential.
- Conduct audits of facilities for regulatory compliance, write reports, make recommendations and train for improvement.
- Conduct classroom training in programs as required by government agencies or Ideal Chemical policies.
- Review new chemicals to determine the hazards and advise on potential dangers, exposure, PPE, handling and storage concerns.
- Update the ERP system with hazards of products including DOT, SARA, OSHA and other required information.
- Writes SDS’s and labels for internal products.
- Maintain a schedule of report and permit deadlines, submitting these timely.
- Represents the organization in community or industry safety groups and programs.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: The following requirements include but are not limited to:
- Proficiency in both ability to read and interpret regulations. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. * Knowledge of chemicals is a plus.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Prefer Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) or equivalent in occupational safety, industrial hygiene, physical or biological sciences or related fields.
- May be substituted for two to four years’ experience working directly in an EHS&S compliance field at a manufacturing or distribution facility.
- May also be substituted for equivalent combination of education and experience.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: The following skills include but are not limited to:
- Read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
- Effectively present information to all levels of staff.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: The following skills include but are not limited to:
- Work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Appling concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
REASONING ABILITY: The following skills include but are not limited to:
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is working in areas where hazardous materials are processed and may require the use of PPE. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts; in high, precarious places; and in outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
QUALITY: Each employee at all levels has the responsibility and authority to initiate and verify corrective action in their respective areas, relative to problems related to product and/or service. Each employee is responsible for the quality of their own work.
Ideal Chemical and Supply Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. (Minorities/Veterans/Females/Disabled)
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org